Athletic Coaching Certification Info
Requirements of All Coaches
Board Policy 6.14 and 6.141: The individual must hold or earn a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross and must have received training about the dangers of drug use including performance enhancing drugs.
Florida Statute 1012.55(2)(a) requires that any person who is employed and renders service as an athletic coach shall hold a valid temporary or professional certificate or an athletic coaching certificate. This section of statute does not apply to coach who voluntarily renders service AND who is not employed by any public school district in the state.
Requirements of Current Full Time Employees hired as Coaches
If the coach holds a valid Florida Educators Certification, then no additional certifications are required (other than the CPR requirement). If the coach does not hold a valid certificate, then they must hold or apply for an athletic coaching certificate through FDOE.
Requirements of Community Coaches
Community Coach: A coach hired who is not an employee of the school district.
Board Policy 6.14 provides that a community coach may not be recommended until the principal has determined that qualified full-time employees of the School Board are not available to perform these responsibilities. Policy also states that the community coach must hold or apply for certification.
Before being hired as a new Community Coach the following MUST be completed.
· Fingerprint Clearance
· Drug Screen Clearance
· Application for Athletic Coaching must be submitted
A coach cannot be placed on the board agenda, nor can they be paid for coaching prior to completion of the above steps. The effective hire date can be no earlier than the date all three of the above steps are completed.
Certification Requirements SBR 6A-4.004
(4) Certificates covering only athletic coaching (grades K-12).
(a) A certificate valid for three (3) school fiscal years reflecting only athletic coaching may be issued to an applicant who does not meet the requirements specified in paragraph (4)(b) of this rule. The certificate may be issued one (1) time to an applicant who meets the following requirements:
1. Completes the application requirements as specified in Rule 6A-4.0012, FAC., and
2. Submits fingerprint reports as specified in subparagraph (1)(a)3., of this rule.
(b) A certificate valid for five (5) school fiscal years reflecting only athletic coaching may be issued to an applicant who meets the following requirements:
1. Completes the application requirements as specified in Rule 6A-4.0012, FAC.,
2. Satisfies specialization requirements as specified in subsection (2) of Rule 6A-4.0282, FAC., and
3. Submits fingerprint reports as specified in subparagraph (1)(a)3., of this rule.
Certification Requirements SBR 6A-4.0282
Specialization Requirements for the Endorsement in Athletic Coaching --- Academic Class.
- Certification in another subject, and
- Nine (9) semester hours in athletic coaching to include the areas specified below:
- (a) Three (3) semester hours in care and prevention of athletic injuries and the effects and dangers of drug use including performance enhancing drugs,
- (b) Three (3) semester hours in coaching theory,
- (c) A course in theory and practice of coaching a specific sport, and